Who says summer has to end in September? These lemon poppyseed waffles are just what you need to keep summer flavors alive! Fresh berries on top makes it a perfectly sweet way to start your day. Plus they’re vegan! While I’m not vegan, I have many friends who are and I know how tough it can be to find vegan products that not only taste good but are also with made with simple ingredients! These waffles were so crispy around the edges, but were perfectly fluffy and airy in the center! The texture and consistency was amazing and tasted exactly like a traditional waffle! I made a few tweaks to the recipe on the package, so I’ll leave it below for you guys!
What you’ll need:
1 cup + 1 Tbsp non dairy milk
Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
- Heat waffle iron to medium-high heat
- Combine nondairy milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
- Let rest for 5 minutes
- Add in lemon zest and juice
- Add in poppy seeds
- Add in baking mix and mix all thoroughly
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray
- Pour in 1/4 cup batter at a time and cook for about 4 minutes each, spraying with cooking spray in between each waffle
- Add toppings of your choice! Strawberries, vegan butter (my favorite is @earthbalance!), some granola (@wholeme lemon!), or pure maple syrup!
P.S. you could definitely just make pancakes with this recipe if you don’t have a waffle iron!