This sweet Halloween treat is the perfect addition to any movie night or get together. It’s tart, creamy and ultra-dense with plant-powered goodness. There are under 12 ingredients needed and no baking time. You know what that means? It’s a quick and simple snack that’ll be ready in minutes. It’s passed Halloween? Skip the chocolate chip eyeballs and roll your Lemon Energy Balls in the Homemade Vegan Vanilla Frosting and you’re set! It’s like a whole new dessert (#cakepops!?). Thank you Maryea from Happy Healthy Mama for inspiring us to create these amazing Lemon Energy Balls!
Grab your food processor, electic hand mixer and rubber spatula and let do this thing!
Raw whole cashews are a bit pricey but SO worth it. Cashews are rich in antioxidants, nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The goodness inside of cashews help with bone strength and joint flexibility, migraines, memory, lowering blood pressure, protecting against UV damage, heart disease, and cancer .
- 1 1/2 cups whole, raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large or 2 small lemons)
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp dairy-free, vegan mini chocolate chips for the eyeballs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp almond milk (or nut milk of choice)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla Lemon Energy Balls:
Appliance needed: Large Food Processor and Electric Hand Mixer
1. Add all ingredients in the food processor.
2. Blend until it forms into a dough-like form
3. Roll into one inch balls and place on parchment paper (or freezer-safe dish).
4. Place the plate in freezer while you make frosting (up to 20 minutes)
5. Take out and create "mummy" look with Homemade Vanilla Frosting and mini chocolate chips.
6. Save in fridge in a sealed bowl and enjoy for up to 4 days ( don't think it will last that long though)
Homemade Vanilla Vegan Frosting:
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl.
2. Using an electric hand mixer, start on low and gradually mix the ingredients until smooth, creamy and thick.
3. Using a rubber spatula, put the frosting in a ziploc bag and cut a small hole in one of the corners.
4. Using the frosting in ziploc bag, decorate Lemon Energy balls using different strokes and lines to create a "Mummy" look.
5. Use Vegan Chocolate Chips for eyes
Bella + Team Coconut
- 1http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0011502988900132, Magnesium metabolism in health and disease, Oct. 2012
- 2http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/2/7/652/htm, Health Benefits of Nut Consumption, Oct. 2012
- 3http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21438525, Effect of roasting on phenolic content and antioxidant activities of whole cashew nuts, kernels, and testa, Oct. 2012